Want to create this Safe Winter Walking display board for your own event?

Posted Le 23 novembre 2017

Here’s what you’ll need:

• Triplicate board

• Coloured paper (we used what we had in the print room)

• Snowflake stickers (craft supply store, dollar store)

• “Snow” (any craft store)

• A bag of sand, a bucket and small baggies

• Home safety guide handout

• Winter walking brochures

• Consider having some good winter boots, and terrible slippers,

• slippery high heel boots, yak tracks etc.

• If you have walking poles, they were a HUGE hit

If you want to have a sand bucket (like the one below) for people to take a small baggie for their pocket/purse/car, you can print these labels (see below):

To create a banner, I simply opened a new word document, searched “banner” under the “new” tab and choose the Banner letters and numbers. This gives you A-Z and 1-10 plus symbols, but you can go ahead and delete them and simply type in your text. The text size 140 worked well for a standard triplicate board. (*remember to unselect double sided printing!!)

For the middle panel, I chose to use a template in word. I chose the “winter holiday event flyer” template, deleted the information and added our logos and the wording as below:

For the third panel, I printed each of the three panels from this site’s graphic. The graphic moves, but you can print them quite nicely, just right click and print: http://archive.boston.com/interactive/graphics/2008/20090107_ice/

FYI, I made one small change to this image, and clipped off the bottom as I think the message recommending we shuffle is not consistent with my understanding of the current evidence:

Add a couple of your favourite brochures and Voila! A new information booth for this winter! We also had a prize, and asked for name/number to enter in the draw. We were also able to ask that key messages be promoted in the announcers’ comments and came up with this list for them to choose from, which we had to provide ahead of time:

1. Anyone can fall, prevent it from happening to you

2. Falls are the leading cause of injury among older Canadians

3. Falls account for 85% of injury-related hospitalizations

4. Falls are the cause of 95% of all hip fractures

5. Most falls happen in and around the home

6. Physical activity is a great way to prevent falls and reduce your risk of a fracture

7. Ensure you are taking enough Vitamin D and Calcium!

8. Falls are preventable! Know your personal risk factors

9. Many medications increase your risk of a fall!

10. Going outside this winter? Watch for ice and snow!

11. Winter walking tip: keep your hands out of your pockets for better balance

12. Try out walking poles inside or out to stay active this winter

13. Choose non-slip tread shoes to walk outside and beware of ill-fitting slippers indoors!

I hope this helps anyone else looking for a winter walking display and saves you time! I was a tad crunched for time, so look for version 2.0 and send me your comments on how this could be improved!